Thursday 19 October 2017

Can Anyone Write a Novel?

Last month, I gave a talk to a local seniors group. It was similar to the ones I have done in the past – describing my writing ‘career’, including the differences between writing in the 1960s and writing today, and also giving some examples of where I get my ideas and how I develop my stories.

At the end of all my talks, I’ve had various questions, ranging from ‘How long does it take you to write a novel?’ to ‘How much research do you have to do?’

This time I had a different question. Someone said, “They say there is a novel in everyone. Do you think anyone can write one?’

I had to think on my feet! In the end I said something like, “First I think you have to want to write, and then you have to make the time to do it, rather than just write when you happen to have some spare time or feel like writing. There can also be a big difference between simply writing a novel, and writing something that will be accepted by a publisher. It can involve a lot of time and hard work – not just the actual writing, but also the research you need to do, even for a contemporary novel. You might also have to learn about plotting, using dialogue, and developing your characters, and I also think you need to have a good grasp of grammar, punctuation and spelling.”

That’s a summary of my ‘off the cuff’ answer, which I’m aware might only have covered a small part of what is involved in writing a novel. 

While we were having a cup of tea afterwards, someone else said to me, “I couldn’t write a novel. I don’t have the imagination to create a story.”

On my way home, I thought about this and realised this person was right. The need/desire to write (which means you make the time to do it) is combined with the imagination to create characters and their story. You can learn all the other things – and indeed, we all learn as we go along.

What do you think? Can anyone write a novel? And how would you have answered that question?

7 comments:

  1. That's actually a great question and I'm glad you answered it so honestly. I don't think anyone can--I think it takes everything you said, as well as drive, determination and talent. So many writers are introverts and many of us are hesitant to admit that what we do takes talent--I think that should be said more. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good points, Jen. I agree with the drive and determination - as well as sweating blood at times! Talent is a difficult thing to define because it covers such a wide range of different abilities - but I think you're right that we often underestimate our personal talents.

      Delete
  2. What a great answer you gave, Paula! For me, perseverance and actually sitting down to write are top of my list for completing anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosemary. Perseverance is essential, isn't it? Especially when you're really struggling with a story!

      Delete
  3. Great answer Paula. I agree perseverance is so important, that's often where I let myself down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must admit I persevere to the point of almost tearing my hair out at times LOL! There are times when I want to admit defeat, but somehow I have to continue swimming through treacle!

      Delete
  4. I want to share a testimony on how Le_Meridian funding service helped me with loan of 2,000,000.00 USD to finance my marijuana farm project , I'm very grateful and i promised to share this legit funding company to anyone looking for way to expand his or her business project.the company is funding company. Anyone seeking for finance support should contact them on lfdsloans@outlook.com Or lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com Mr Benjamin is also on whatsapp 1-989-394-3740 to make things easy for any applicant. 

    ReplyDelete