By the 16th century, there was a manor house at Rossall, in the south-western part of the present town. It originally belonged to the Allen family, but was sold to Thomas Fleetwood in the 1530’s. The Fleetwood family owned the hall for about 300 years.
By the 1860’s the port increased its activities, with pleasure and commercial services to Scotland, Ireland and the Isle of Man. The fishing industry also grew as ships were able to expand their catchment area from the Irish Sea into the North Atlantic.
The town began to decline in the 1960’s with the advent of package holidays abroad, and in the 1970’s the fishing industry collapsed due mainly to the ‘Cod Wars’ with Iceland. The last deep sea trawler left the town in 1983.