Wednesday 21 April 2021

A-Z Blogging Challenge - R is for Ross

Here’s my imaginary interview with Ross McAllister, the archaeologist hero of my novel, ‘Her Only Option’, set in Egypt.

Professor McAllister, can you tell us more about the work you’re doing in the Valley of the Kings?

We’re exploring a tunnel leading from the tomb of Senhotep the First. It leads from the burial chamber and was first discovered about forty years ago, but after they’d opened up about a hundred metres, they couldn’t get any further.

Why not?

They were heading in the wrong direction.

What makes you think you’re heading in the right direction?

We weren’t sure until we found 52 steps leading into a lower part of the tunnel. We’ve also unearthed some funerary figures and a stone fragment with Senhotep’s name.


What are you hoping to find at the end of the tunnel?

We know the sarcophagus in the burial chamber was empty, but we have no idea where the Pharaoh’s remains are. The tunnel may have been intended to fool the tomb robbers, or it may lead to another chamber, or it may simply represent the king’s route through the underworld. We won’t know until we reach the end. If we reach the end.

I understand you have some problems with financing your work, since Stephen Lingard withdrew his funding. Can you tell us why?

I’m sure you’ve read the gossip columns. Stephen’s daughter, Sophie, and I ended our engagement a few weeks ago. A mutual decision, I assure you, but unfortunately her father blamed me and said I’d publicly humiliated his daughter.

And you have no alternative source of funding?

We’re putting out various feelers at present, and I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

In the meantime, you’re about to take a trip up the Nile on one of the cruise ships. Why?

Why not? (Hollow laugh from Ross). Actually, this trip was supposed to be part of my honeymoon. I could have cancelled it, but I’ve given my team two weeks’ leave, and I haven’t had any break in the last three months, so I thought I might as well spend a relaxing week on the Lady Amirah.

Maybe you’ll meet someone else with a rich daddy who can finance your work?

Oh no, I’ve absolutely no intention of getting involved with another woman, end of story.

 

Could those be ‘famous last words’ for our hero – and the beginning of a new romance for him?


"I couldn't put this book down. The knowledge and research shown by the author made you feel as if you really were sailing down the Nile and visiting the Valley of the Kings. Paula paints a vivid picture of the place and with her well-drawn characters. There was romance, intrigue, mystery, and enough twists in the story to keep you guessing until the end."

All my books are available from 


2 comments:

  1. One of my favourite books. If I remember correctly you have quite a soft spot for Ross, Paula.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! He is one of my favourite heroes :-)

      Delete