Tuesday 5 April 2011

Dynamic Dialogue

Have you ever read stories where the people sound stilted?  Maybe they don’t use contractions, or they use long sentences and/or words that don’t tend to be used in ordinary speech.  It sounds wrong.  You know very well that people don’t talk like that in everyday life. 

But have you listened to how people DO talk?  Everyday speech is often fragmentary and wanders randomly from one topic to another.  Count up how many times someone says ‘well’ or ‘you know’ or ‘erm’ or ‘look’ or ‘yeah, but’ or ‘no, but’.  Listen out for unfinished sentences, pauses or interruptions in a ‘real-life’ conversation.  

If we wrote dialogue which echoed normal patterns of speech, it could become as irritating as stilted speech.  Somewhere there has to be a happy medium.  Dialogue in novels must sound real to the reader without necessarily echoing all the idiosyncrasies of real-life conversation.

In my first draft of a story, when I hear the characters speaking in my mind, I find myself including some of the words and phrases which pepper everyday speech.  As I read through a conversation I’ve just written, I invariably delete most of these as being unnecessary.  I say ‘most’ because I may leave in an occasional one where I feel it adds to a particular piece of dialogue.

It goes without saying that dialogue should suit the person who is saying it.  Hoever this has the hidden danger of stereotyping people.  I read recently in one article about dialogue that people’s vocabulary is a result of their upbringing and education.  The example given was that a college professor would say ‘That’s unfortunate’ whereas a plumber would say ‘That sucks’ – and I cringed.  To me, it’s perfectly feasible for it to be the other way round!  In the same way, I think it’s wrong to assume that a college professor wouldn’t know anything about plumbing, or a plumber about Shakespearean plays.  But now we’re into stereotyping, rather than dialogue (maybe I’ll use that for my letter ‘S’ in the challenge!) – so back to dialogue again.  Here are three pointers which I’ve found useful:

Dialogue should move the story forward.  Don’t involve your characters in a conversation which is completely irrelevant to the story.  The reader isn’t interested in the heroine and her mother discussing what colour of curtains to buy or the hero and his friends having a post-mortem on the latest football match unless these conversations add something to the plot. 

Dialogue can also provide information about the characters, but not as ‘info-dumps’.  I always groan if I see the words ‘As you know…’ in dialogue.  If the other character already knows, then why is he/she telling them again?  In reality, it’s the author trying to slip in some information.    

Dialogue should reflect the mood, tension or emotion.  If the characters are angry with each other, their sentences are likely to be short.  If the heroine is trying to hide her anger, she may speak in polite and longer sentences to avoid showing what she feels.

Finally, unless a character is actually making a formal speech, keep each person’s part of a conversation short and to the point.  It's dialogue we want, not lengthy monologues!

15 comments:

  1. Hi Paula,

    I did dialogue too! Good points, I agree stereotyping may seem an easy way to draw character, but it's just another form of cliche really. Great post.
    regards,
    mood
    http://moodywriting.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, Mood, I think I was posting a comment on yours at the same time as you were posting here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another interesting and thought provoking piece, Paula!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, dialogue is one of the most difficult challenges in writing. One of the best exercises (practiced daily as any exercise should be) I've heard about is to sit near groups of people and listen to their conversations. It's an art to tune in without appearing nosy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. More wonderful writing advice. Thank You!

    Lisa
    InspiredbyLisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Paula ... most of us wouldn't understand each other with our dialects and local words .. it's that middle way - that must be difficult to get right - to set the scene, but feel a part of the situation too .. good thoughts - thanks - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Walk2write - I have to confess I do eavesdrop at times! As you say, the art is to do it unobtrusively. Starbucks is a good place!

    Lisa - thanks! I feel presumptuous "giving advice" as such, but if what I've learned from my own experience helps others, then I'm happy to share my thoughts.

    Hilary - I've seen novels where the author has tried to use dialects and it's so difficult to read at times that it becomes annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tips! I can't wait to see what you post for "E".

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful insight! I'm really looking forward to your blog tomorrow. Thank you so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Sylvia and Jeffrey.
    It'll be the other way round tomorrow - I shall be asking for advice! Watch this space!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's very interesting. We don't notice our speech when we talk because it all seems normal, but when we read it, it stands out like a sore thumb.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very true, Mist. I once watched a movie about Nixon and Watergate, and at times they had the actor playing Nixon using the exact words from the infamous tapes. It stood out in sharp contrast to the rest of the dialogue because it was full of Nixon's 'ums' and half sentences etc. If every movie had people talking like they do in real life,it would be extremely tedious. The same applies to dialogue in books too!
    Thanks for visiting again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Some people love to monopolize conversations in real life. On the page, we want lots of white space. No long narrative or dialogue passages.
    It's always a compromise, isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lots of white space - I like that! Paragraphs - narrative or monologue - which fill half a page or more are a complete turn-off for the average romance reader IMO.
    I always like it when there is an opportunity to turn introspection into dialogue. But then, I love dialogue!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post about dialogue! :-)

    ReplyDelete