Wednesday 6 April 2011

E-books or Real Books?

I’ve been firmly in the ‘real books’ camp for a long time.  I love books.  All the shelves in my home bear witness to that.  I haven’t counted, but there must be several hundred. 

Most of them I’ll never read again, but I hate parting with them.  If I take a bag of books to the local charity shop (simply to make some room on the shelves), I agonise over which to put into the bag.
 
I like a real book in my hands.  I like the look, feel and smell of it.  I love browsing in bookshops, both new and used, studying titles and authors, reading the blurb, sometimes dipping into a few pages.

I especially like my OWN real books in my hands.  I still remember the first time I signed my own book. Admittedly, it was just a copy for a friend, not the first person in a long line at a bookshop (dream on, I tell myself), but it was a REAL book.  

I was convinced that I wouldn’t succumb to an electronic book reader.  Quite apart from my love of real books, I don’t particularly enjoy learning how to cope with ‘new’ technology.   

BUT …

Last Sunday my daughter showed me her ‘Kindle’ and demonstrated how easy it was to download e-books.  Today I ‘looked’ at one in the electronic department of the hypermarket.  My interest has been kindled (pardon the pun!)

I’m thinking of the almost-two-inch thick tome I put in my suitcase for holiday reading last year.  How much easier to take a slim paperback size e-reader instead.

I’m thinking of the American-published books by many of my internet friends.  How much easier to download these instead of waiting for them to be mailed (and paying extra for postage and packing).

I’m thinking of no longer having to clear some room on my shelves to make room for new books.

I’m thinking I might be on the verge of conversion…  J    Anyone want to persuade me one way or the other?

And BTW, Whiskey Creek Press is now showing my new book,
His Leading Lady,
on its ‘Coming Soon’ page.  It’s due to be released in June. 

13 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Don't think, Do it! I had one for Christmas from hubby, and I love it. It's so light to handle, and none of that keeping a finger between pages, dropping book and then cursing while trying to relocate specific page. I've read books I wouldn't have if I'd had to jump through burning hoops to get them. ;)

    best
    F

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's inevitable so you might as well... i do love the book too but no point holding a torch forever. And you can still get a hard copy of the ones you really love.
    regards
    mood

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a foot in both camps. The kindle is great in some respects but I still LOVE the feel of a book in hand. I do both! How's that for a lack of concrete advice. LOL

    Lisa
    InspiredbyLisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still haven't experienced an ebook firsthand (I have an ebook reader on my laptop) but it seems to be a natural evolution of the publishing process. Suppose I should get in line... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did get a Kindle but the experience doesn't suit me as well as the print book. Being an editor and having to read manuscripts constantly in an electronic version, it felt too much like work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Taking the plunge doesn't mean you've given up on real books. But, embracing both is going to happen whether we like it or not. Do you own the rights to your out-of-print books? You might want to get them out in e-format!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know if you should convert to e-books...to me it's not the same. Reading a book is all about the experience, the turning of the pages, the smell of the paper and ink, the careful placement of the bookmark...it wouldn't be the same!!
    Found you from the A-Z Challenge, I’m now following you on GFC and I hope you have a chance to check out my blog!
    Monica
    http://oldermommystillyummy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, all for your comments. A good mix of views there, and I'm still teetering on the Kindle brink. I'll probably succumb, but as several of you have said, I can still have my 'real' books as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have always felt the way you do about a 'real book'. I was always against the Kindles, but I am starting to see the true genius in them.:) They're great for traveling, or if you don't have the space for tons and tons of books, and my understanding is that you can just download a book right away, whereas you would normally have to drive out to a library or bookstore.
    I think I feel the same as you on this! I just can't tell which I would want more. I thought I would always choose the pages over the screen, but I am starting to convert...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't do it! I like to have the books in my hand. I was getting tempted at one point but that temptation faded off.

    Maybe someday....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the smell of a book and the weight of it in my hands, I don't even mind the thump as it falls from my hands when I drift off to sleep.

    on the other hand, e-books don't give you papercuts!

    http://baygirl32.blogspot.com
    stoppin in from the A to Z challenge

    ReplyDelete
  12. Real books for me definitely and I only send those to the charity shops that I am not bothere about keeping. I love having my books around the house. I sometimes dip into them again and hubby reads his several times. I'd hate it if books became only electronic :O)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Woohoo! Congratulations on 'His Leading Lady' Paula. I am so looking forward to reading it.
    Re. Kindle - I bought them for my son and duaghter for Christmas and I was VERY impressed. I plan to take the leap fairly soon but I know if I really like a book I have downloaded then I shall buy the hard copy for my shelves.

    ReplyDelete